Key Point To Remember About Memory Leaks In Python
Memory Leaks In Python
A memory leak is a situation when there is still a reference left even if the element or variable has been deleted. In creating several effects such as making the application run very slow. And the device becomes hot. Also, space issues start happening. Therefore in today’s article, we will cover what are memory leaks in Python.
We will discuss it in detail and tell you the exact reasons why it happens. Also, we will try to provide solutions to solve them. Therefore keep reading this article and get the best information related to the memory leaks in Python.
What are memory leaks in Python?
When you define objects and you do not use them then the problem starts happening. You start getting the message that the space is running out. This is because you do not deallocate the memory allocated to the objects. You forget to do so. And in the heap is still taking the space. Therefore, you must remove them if not in use. And get the work done for you. But sometimes it’s not that simple.
But in Python and similar object-oriented language, the garbage collector tries to complete the job for you. It tries to deallocate the memory when the objects are once declared. But not used anywhere in the program. Sometimes the garbage collector can’t do so because the objects are still being referenced somewhere. This condition is called the memory leaks in Python.
What are problems created due to memory leaks?
- Whole system failure: The application uses the RAM while running. Therefore, when you run this big file then it will take time to run. Also, it will make the computer hang. Because it will consume lots of RAM. So, it will make the performance of your computer slower. Therefore it is advisable to check for those mistakes.
- Problems in the execution of the program: Since the objects are using the memory without doing anything in the program. Therefore, it makes the program bulky. It sometimes becomes so bulky that it can’t even run for the first time. Or takes so much time to load.
- Decreases the performance of our computer system: Since the memory is being used by these unreferenced objects. That is why the program takes time to get executed. So this action results in the user having a bad experience. And the user does not want to visit the application again. Also since the application becomes slower by doing so. Therefore, a hacker may do so by introducing so many of these things into your application and making it slower.
How to make the program memory leak free?
1. Make sure to use the concept of local variables:
Many times we declare the objects outside any function. Therefore, when we finish doing code we forget to deallocate them. It makes your code run slower. Therefore we must use the concept of local scope.
According to it, we must declare the object within the functions. Because when we will do so then in this case we forget to deallocate the memory manually. Then the functions can save us. Because when the functions get terminated, the scope of the objects also gets finished. And it becomes easy to navigate to it and deallocate it.
2. Reduce the number of objects you make out of any class:
Make sure that the objects you create are being used. For this try to declare the objects when you need them. Do not create the objects first and then think about the logic.
Also sometimes we create the objects for testing purposes. But we forget them to clear out when we make the final code. Therefore, remember to clear them out and declare only the number of needed objects.
3. Make sure to check your code manually before making the final:
The simplest thing you can do is to make the code simple and clean. You must know whether the variable you are creating is useful or not. If not then make them in use. Or if not then try to deallocate them before moving ahead.
4. By doing the dynamic programming:
In Dynamic programming, we code such that we declare the objects according to the need of the user. So try practicing dynamic programming and only create how many objects will be needed. Make the program simple, and clean.
Let’s wrap it up!
In today’s article, we learnt what memory leaks in Python. We learnt it in detail with the situation that can happen when we code something that has a memory leak. And we also gave you some points by which you can make the program simple. And keep yourself away from memory leaks.
Lastly, we hope you got something informative from this article. In case you found it helpful, please visit another article also on our website. We publish similar articles on our website for readers like you. We hope you remain healthy and keep learning.