Preparing for your trip to Thailand, practical advice for organizing your stay in Thailand
Do you want to go to Thailand and start organizing your Thailand holidays? Do you know the best itinerary for your trip to Thailand and to enjoy this magnificent country? In this article I help you prepare for your trip to Thailand with practical advice.
You can do many itineraries in Thailand and it is not easy to make a choice. Anyway, in 90% of cases you will land in the capital, Bangkok. My first advice would be not to stay too long in Bangkok. Take 1 night in Bangkok or 2 nights if your plane arrives late, this will allow you to have a free day in Bangkok.
I tell you this because you will have to return to Bangkok to take your return flight, so you can arrive the day before your departure in order to spend one last night in Bangkok…
1) How to prepare your trip to Thailand?
To put it simply, Thailand is divided into 3 parts:
– The North with the essential Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai and Chiang Rai.
– The South West with Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Koh Ngai and Koh Lipe
– The South East with Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Tao.
So yes, the ideal would be to be able to visit everything, but not all of you are lucky enough to have 3 weeks of vacation!
2) How many days to visit each part of Thailand?
For the North part count 1 week, and here is the number of nights that I advise you:
– 1 night in Bangkok on arrival and 1 night for the last day, I invite you to read this article where I tell you where to sleep in Bangkok
– 2 nights in Chiang Mai, read this article to find out where to stay and to know the activities/visits to do
– 2 nights in Pai if you have the time (a small village located 2h30 from Chiang Mai by car), here is an article on this small destination full of charm.
– 1 night in Chiang Rai
Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have their own small airport, so the idea is to make a loop and then leave directly from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to the South West or South East of Thailand.
3) Organize your trip to South West Thailand?
For the South-West part count 8-9 days. You will arrive at Krabi airport, otherwise count 11 hours by car from Bangkok. Here is the number of nights that I recommend:
– 1 night in Krabi or Ao Nang depending on the arrival time of your plane. If the duration of your trip allows it, you can spend 2 nights in Ao Nang and Railay Beach. Read this article
– Departure for Koh Phi Phi from the port of Krabi (remember to book your tickets as soon as you arrive at your hotel in Krabi). 2 nights in Koh Phi Phi or 3 for party people, here is my article
– 2 nights in Koh Lanta, you will take the boat from Koh Phi Phi to reach Koh Lanta, count 2 hours by boat
– 1 night in Koh Ngai (small island for lovers), for partygoers go your way
– 2 nights in Koh Lipe see 3 for partygoers. To reach Koh Lipe you have Speed Boat from Koh Lanta or Koh Ngai. Allow 3 hours by boat.
– To reach Krabi Airport from Koh Lipe, opt for the Shuffle boat + taxi.
4) Prepare your stay in the South-East of Thailand?
For the South-East part count 5 or 6 days. You will arrive at Koh Samui airport. Here is the number of nights that I recommend:
– 3 nights in Koh Pha Ngan – To reach the island you will leave from the port of Koh Samui
– 2 nights in Koh Tao
– If you have the time do 1 or 2 nights in Koh Samui
Well there you go, I think you have all the keys in hand to organize your stay in Thailand, I hope that these tips will allow you to move forward in the preparation of your stay in Thailand!