- Get what you pay for, or, to put it another way, avoid the cheapest alternative (seek cost-effectiveness),
- Communication is essential. Pay attention to sprints, daily meetings, tracking tools, and so on.
- Find specialists in a certain technology or framework, rather than “all-knowing experts in everything.”
- Request a demo deployment of the product at each step of development, if possible.
- Look for someone who understands the product’s business logic.
- The Time and Material model typically triumphs over the Fixed price model.
Some Facts About Software Consulting Industry
Abundance of Agencies
With literally hundreds of enterprises in each country, the market is over-saturated. It will be difficult and time-consuming to sift through the bright graphics and sales pitches of companies claiming to be specialists in everything. Make an effort not to become distracted and instead concentrate on finding the proper partner who will not simply consider your project as another one in their “assembly line.”
Software Development Is more Than Writing Code
Software developers are accountable for a lot more than just writing code. They may have an impact on the end-user experience, income flow, brand identity, content, and so on… pretty much every part of a business. An excellent software development business will go above and above to create a useful product, contribute to the design, and help with deployment.
They recruited all talented and experienced developers, particularly in the field of mobile app development, where even junior and middle-level developers are in high demand. Later on, many people feel angry when they realize that 60% of mobile coders have generated fewer than 5 apps, and roughly 20% have delivered between 5 and 9.
Better to Produce a Unique Product
Despite all of these organizational problems, one must create a unique product that stands out from the crowd. Because the market does not accept comparable products, it is not prudent to replicate a competitor’s product and expect the same results. Generally, custom development of a product with specifically customized features is preferable.
Software Projects are Costly
And the majority of them go over budget (up to 50 percent or more). The typical project cost ranges from $15,000 to $150,000. The average job also takes over 1,000 hours, with hourly charges ranging from $50 to $400. Outsourcing software development has been widely perceived as a cost-cutting measure, yet in most situations, low-cost development firms are ineffective. Central European countries such as Poland, for example, have a reasonable price-quality ratio.
Outsourcing May Fail
Millions of RBS bank clients were unable to access their accounts in 2012 due to a faulty software upgrade. The bank was unable to conduct any transactions for a few days. This is only one illustration of how important software is nowadays, and according to various estimates, 25% to 50% of outsourced initiatives fail.
There could be a variety of causes, ranging from business activities that are out of sync with project objectives to management failures to weak specifications and measuring KPIs. Furthermore, many firms outline the documentation in hundreds of pages and then recruit junior developers to follow that mindlessly without any originality.
As a result, the following questions arise: How can we make hiring a software development agency easier? How can you prevent making costly mistakes? What should you know before hiring a software development firm? The primary goal is to find the appropriate firm for the appropriate type of project.
Things to Consider Before Hiring Software Development and Consulting Company
- Onshore software development refers to organizations that are located in the same country as you.
- Offshore software development entails working with organizations located in another country.
- Nearshore software development refers to enterprises located in adjacent nations.
- Projects with onshore management and offshore/nearshore development teams are referred to as hybrid development outsourcing.
Each approach, without a doubt, has advantages and disadvantages. Onshore development, in particular, provides high-quality, face-to-face meetings and is an excellent fit for 4-12 month projects with substantial budgets. Offshore development is advantageous for firms with well-defined projects looking for a more cost-effective alternative.
Following that, be prepared for tight collaboration and open channels of communication. Though it may sound cliche, constructing software is similar to building a house in that you know what you want and must clearly communicate it to a contractor while also periodically supervising. A good relationship will help you get off to a strong start because, aside from the technical aspects, you will be working with people. Talented developers can not only code but also come up with innovative solutions and concepts.
Tell them the Clear Goals and Expectations
Moving on, have you ever considered that there are other ways to code the same thing? Non-programmers are frequently unaware of it, and, worse, maybe under the mistaken notion that a programmer is well-versed in all technologies.
When you are hiring a software development and consulting company, keep the following key points in mind:
- Specify the requirements. Determine the exact duties for the developers based on the problem your product will answer, as well as the technologies, talents, and budget that will be necessary.
- Set up a meeting. Personal meetings, phone/Skype calls, or whichever method works best to learn what a company offers in terms of your project. What are their standards, how do they work, and how much do they charge?
- Keep in touch. Even if everything appears to be in order, there is no need to rush into a decision. You can check references, discover more about applicants, their previous work, team arrangements, and plan your budget.